The Centre for Photonics Expertise (CPE) are excited to announce that work is now completed on the installation of a state-of-the-art vacuum coating research facility.
Funded by ERDF through WEFO, this unique facility is the only dedicated production scale vacuum coating research facility in the UK enabling collaborative R&D programs for CPE within the West Wales and Valleys region. The facility will be the first of its kind in Wales and will be available to Welsh companies to develop new processes or products based on thin film technology and for applications leading to the next generation of photonics devices.
The Bühler Leybold Optics vacuum coating machine is located at Wrexham-Glyndwr University’s OpTIC Centre. Their SYRUSpro is the industry benchmark for production and R&D applications, allowing us to establish processes and prototypes suitable for mass production.
Key features of the coating plant will be:
- Chamber width of 1350mm (allows a loading capacity of 277 Ø65mm lenses as well as single or multiple large > Ø300mm substrates)
- Two Electron beam deposition sources for optical and electronic materials
- One thermal evaporator for metals
- Plasma Ion Assisted Deposition
- RF plasma source to improve the density and quality of thin films.
Applications include: Precision optics, Sensors and filters, Laser and mirror coatings, Camera lenses and systems, Night vision and distance control and Microscopes and telescopes.